What if an AC is not in use for 3-4 months?
Luckily, today’s air conditioners are made to last. As long as your air conditioner is in good working condition overall and gets the maintenance it needs – it’s unlikely to suffer any problems if it is off for just a few months.
However, there are still a few things you should know if you’re about to turn off your AC for the season or if you’re about to start it up for the first time.If you are about to turn it on after it’s been unused for a few months, here is what to do first:
1. Look at the compressor of your outside unit – is there any buildup of debris or weeds growing around it? If there’s not, then your AC is ready for use.
2. Are you up to date on maintenance? AC should get a maintenance call at least once a year, so remember to schedule your regular AC cleaning.
3. Run the air conditioner in fan mode for at least 15 minutes.
At the end of the season, or if you’re just about to be absent from home for a few months, you should also take these two steps:
1. Run it on a fan for about 60 minutes to clear out the system
2. And this is also the right time to catch up on maintenance.